The running battle between lawyer and human rights campaigner, Prof. Chidi Odinkalu, and Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, took a new twist yesterday with Odinkalu issuing a 23-point response to the governor’s claims that he had not deployed state powers to fight his critics.
Odinkalu, in a rebuttal of a statement by the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Ms. Aisha Dikko, listed victims of the governor’s alleged human rights abuses.
Odinkalu in a series of tweets, listed other various instances where Kaduna State Government under el-Rufai’s watch, punished critics.
Full list of critics as listed by Odinkalu:
Litany of 25 critics who have suffered at El-Rufai’s hands, compiled by Chidi Odinkalu
Nasir El-Rufai has caused to be issued on his behalf a tissue of untruths, half-truths & falsehoods concerning his brutal persecution of his critics as Governor of Kaduna State.
To help his memory, here is a litany of #bodybags of critics who have suffered at his hands:
1. Kaduna govt speaks on Dadiyata, prosecution of Odinkalu, Maikori, others
The Kaduna justice ministry released a statement, on Monday, to explain its stance.
2. Barack Zebedee: Ph.D student in fisheries & hydrology in Biology Dept., Ahmadu Bello Univ, Zaria: Arrested in May 2017 on charges of incitement for a post on a WhatsApp group created to mobilise assistance for victims of #SouthernKadunaMassacre
Southern Kaduna killings: Police arrest scholar, BaraK Zebedee for alleged inciting comments
3. Gabriel Idibia: journalist with The Union newspaper, dragged to court reportedly for being inquisitive about El-Rufai’s declared his assets as demanded by law.
OPINION: Between El-Rufa’i and Kaduna Journalists
4. Jacob Onjewu Dickson: Journalist with Authentic News, was arrested, detained & charged with – yes, u guessed it – #Incitement in May 2016, after reporting that youths had pelted @elrufai with objects.
5. Luka Binniyat: @Kindusluka was Kaduna Bureau Chief of @vanguardngrnews, when @elrufai ordered his arrest in Feb 2017 for a report under his by-line in the newspaper. Luka was detained for ovr 130 days without bail & El-Rufai instigated Vanguard to fire him
6. Midat Joseph: Journalist with Leadership Newspaper was arrested on orders of @elrufai in April 2017 for a post in a WhatsApp group. Guess what the charges against him were? #Incitement!
7. Sunny Yayock: Freelance journalist, arrested, detained & charged to court for his comment on social Media supporting a call for peaceful Demonstration. He slept for two days in the police cell before he was taken to court & granted bail
Mini-Tyrant: As Kaduna Governor El-Rufai Declares An Open Prison For Journalists, Citizen Reporters [MUST READ] – The Trent
8. Jacob Dickson, the consulting editor of Authentic News Daily, an online paper, it was another day of uncertainty and anxiety in the court in Kaduna State.
9. Adamu Abdullahi: Social Media activist, was arrested by Police in Kaduna for questioning, for reportedly re-tweeting a tweet about @elrufai being pelted with objects.
10. Segun Onibiyo: Segun Onibiyo, journalist with Radio Nigeria was arrested charged on orders of El-Rufai on 14 Nov 2019 with – yes, u guessed it! – #Incitement, for his #socialmedia posts. He spent most of Dec 2019 detained b4 being released after 24 days
11. Samuel Ogundipe: Samuel Ogundipe was a journalist with Premium Times when El-Rufai’s son, Bello, threatened to arrest him for reporting that Bello had threatened the mum of someone who criticized his dad, the Kaduna governor, with gang rape
12. Dr. John Danfulani: John Danfulani Lecturer in Kaduna State University was suspended, arrested, detained & charged for incitement allegedly for criticising El-Rrufai through a Facebook post. He was detained for many days before bail. He was also fired.
13. Nasiru Jagaba: Nasiru Jagaba, national youth leader of the Southern Kaduna Peoples Union, Sokapu, was arrested & faced prosecution for protesting against El-Rufai’s policies.
14. HRH Dr. Ishaku Damina: 1st Class paramount Chief of Kurama, in Southern Kaduna was detained on trumped up charges for over a month on orders of El-Rufai in 2017. He was eventually granted bail when Court found nothing against him.
15. HRH, Dr. Maiwada Raphael Galadima, Agwam Adara: 1st Class Paramount Ruler of the Adara of Southern Kaduna, abducted on a Friday with his wife after protesting El-Rufai creating an Emirate over his kingdom. His body was discovered days later.
16. Adara Elders, Bawa Magaji (Waziri); Sani Magaji, (Baraden); Awemi Dio Maisamari; Joseph Abdalla; Tanko Maisanari; Hosea Danladi; Joseph Ayuba; Tanko Wada; Ulu Maitumbi; arrested & detained for 106 days before being released bcos charges were trumped up
17. Abubakar Idris (Dadiyata): University lecturer, abducted from the gate of his house in Barnawa Kaduna on 1 august 2019 & disappeared since. He is one of El-Rufai’s most prominent critics. Bashir El-Rufai implies that he knows something about this abduction.
18. Steven Kefason, journalist & activist was abducted from Rivers State on the orders of El-Rufai, taken to Kaduna & detained for 162 days before bail. Charges? Incitement. While he was detained, his socialmedia footprint was wiped out
19. Dr. Zuwaqhu Bonat: senior lecturer at Kaduna State University & a community leader, was sacked from his job on the orders of El-Rufai for his advocacy work on behalf of the communities of Southern Kaduna.
20. Inuwa Abdulkadir: Lawyer, former Minister & NW Zonal Chair of APC, El-Rufai demolished Inuwa’s home in Kaduna when he declined support to suspend Shehu Sani from the party. Inuwa died in July with the case still pending in court.
21. Suleiman Hunkuyi: former Kaduna State Chairman of APC and senator of Senate, El-Rufai demolished Senator Hunkuyi’s home in Unguwar Rimi over a political disagreement and converted it into a children’s park.
22. Danjuma Laah: Senator representing Southern Kaduna, house raided by Police and nephew arrested in Kaduna allegedly on orders of El-Rufai after he spoke out on Southern Kaduna Massacre and called for Southern Kaduna ppl to “defend themselves.”
23. Shehu Sani represented Kaduna Central in the Senate on platform of APC. When he disagreed with El-Rufai’s brutalities, the goveror reportedly induced the party to turf him out of the party and started gloating.
24. Audu Maikori: At the Lagos Socia Media Week in 2017, El-Rufai promised publicly that Audu, lawyer & entrepreneur, will be abducted to Kaduna. True to his word, in Feb 2017, Audu was unlawfully vanished from Lagos to Kaduna on charges of incitement.
25. Gloria Ballason: When then Nigeria Bar Association president visited El-Rufai in 2016 over Southern Kaduna, the governor threatened to abduct Human Rights lawyer & CEO HO Justice Intl, G. Mabeiam over an article she wrote. She has many court orders against El-Rufai.
Writing in 2014, @elrufai’s longest boss, Obasanjo, said:
“…Character wise, Nasir has not much going for him. He’s a malicious liar. He was more than that; he is a pathological purveyor of untruth & half-truths with little or no regard to integrity.”
This thread is merely illustrative and not exhaustive of the tale of El-Rufai’s crimes of abuse of power, Napoleon Syndrome, and ruinous peeves and pettinesses.
This is necessitated by the tissue of mendacity issued on his behalf yesterday by Ministry of Justice, Kaduna.